GDPR Compliance
Forum » Community Forums » Discussion
comicbookguy75 24th May

Likes 4

Just wanted to pose this question.

Do gaming clans need to be GDPR complaint?

My place of work does and I have had to have training. My wifes business does and we are working on that. But does my clan? We take donations to keep the site running, whilst this is done through Paypal we still see the person's email address. Our sign up forms include names, email addresses and IGN's. All of this is identifiable information. 
GDPR not only applies to companies but also applies to everybody, except those excluded by Article 2.2, which excludes individuals running database at home, or for leisure. Running a hobby site, for fun, falls under "by a natural person in the course of a purely personal or household activity" But this is not a personal site, it's a community site which takes it outside of Article 2.2
We also have a TS server and that contains IP info, mind you so does the iClan website as that is how we tell which country people come from. There is no cookie warning on the iClan pages or a privacy policy that we can use as we do not control the back end.

Just wondering peoples thoughts on this.

SeeGreatness 3rd Jun

Likes 2

"Do gaming clans need to be GDPR complaint?"
yes everyone does and that includes us

"we still see the person's email address. Our sign up forms include names, email addresses and IGN's. All of this is identifiable information. "
correct that is information that identifies them so you will have to include this in your cookie policy, privacy policy, and TOS 

"GDPR not only applies to companies but also applies to everybody, "
correct.

"except those excluded by Article 2.2, which excludes individuals running database at home, or for leisure. Running a hobby site, for fun, falls under "by a natural person in the course of a purely personal or household activity" "
I actually did not know that.

"But this is not a personal site, it's a community site which takes it outside of Article 2.2"
I guess you are right but im not 100% sure tho.

"We also have a TS server and that contains IP info,"
then you need to let users know that you have that info.

"mind you so does the iClan website as that is how we tell which country people come from."
yes and that is something that is not necessary for the website to function so that also needs to be put in the policy pages

"There is no cookie warning on the iClan pages or a privacy policy that we can use as we do not control the back end."
correct but if you own your own domain then you are only responsible for your domain usage as you cannot set a cookie (or remove) for another website. your browser just won't let that happen (hopefully it doesn't because if it does that's just insecure like imagine going to a url and loading code that grabs all of your cookies and sends it to a database that includes your tokens that webpages auto log you in with and then they can set their own cookies with an extension and import your cookie and log into discord or whatever as you...) but if you are not using a custom domain then I believe you are fine and iclan is responsible but I am not a lawyer In Fact I am just a 18 yo who knows lots (or thinks he knows) about computers. and If you want help with being GDPR compliant please message me and I will help you with your policies and a "popup" that declares what is going on and sets a cookie to remember if you accepted and so it doesn't annoy people that have agreed but also will make sure that cookies are not set/read until they decide if they agree or deny (and if they decide to ignore then it says in my tos that by ignoring it and continuing to the site it is a automatic agree if you would like to see my iclan site is seegreatness.ca (and please can we get ssl lol) 

h ... zer_fan_button_by_re

comicbookguy75 4th Jun

Likes 4

Cheers for the reply SeeGreatness I would have hoped with the number of sites that Iclan has that thye would have done something for their community to help them out with a cookies notice and a privacy policy, as I like you believe that we come under GDPR rules.

Forum » Community Forums » Discussion
Please login or register to reply.
Welcome to the support forums!

Welcome to the community forums!

If you're a premium customer and need urgent support or need to share personal details, please open a ticket from inside your Admin Panel.

Otherwise, please register to post in these forums.

Thank you!
Twitter