MAYBE A PM BUG ?????
Forum » Community Forums » Help and Support
MysticalOne 5th May 2013

Likes 2

I am the site creator for my clan website and I checked my click log the other day and had a member sign in who hadn't been on in awhile, He had 4 clicks and one of them was a /pm click which tells me he checked a Private Message. I clicked on that /pm ( just for curiosity sake ) in the click log and it brought me to a private message that I sent to my clan co-leader . I have since deleted the message BUT HOW is it possible that a clan member ( WITHOUT ADMIN ACCESS ) was able to click and read a Private Message meant for my co-leader and myself. I'm not sure what is up but doesn't seem right that anyone , especially a clan member should be able to access a Private Message between my co-leader and myself or any admin for that matter.

Please check into this as I am no longer comfortable sending Private Messages to my admins or co-leader about my clan admin activity since this has occurred.
Last Edit: 5th May 2013 by MysticalOne
X-Ployt 5th May 2013

Likes 29

QuoteI am the site creator for my clan website and I checked my click log the other day and had a member sign in who hadn't been on in awhile, He had 4 clicks and one of them was a /pm click which tells me he checked a Private Message. I clicked on that /pm ( just for curiosity sake ) in the click log and it brought me to a private message that I sent to my clan co-leader . I have since deleted the message BUT HOW is it possible that a clan member ( WITHOUT ADMIN ACCESS ) was able to click and read a Private Message meant for my co-leader and myself. I'm not sure what is up but doesn't seem right that anyone , especially a clan member should be able to access a Private Message between my co-leader and myself or any admin for that matter.

Please check into this as I am no longer comfortable sending Private Messages to my admins or co-leader about my clan admin activity since this has occurred.

I wonder if you are having the same problem dealing with a person getting admin access without your acknowledgement .

http://www.ihostinghq.com/topic/bug-or-abuse-epl

Signature Picture

JamesAdmin 6th May 2013

Likes 293

Hi, this is not a problem or a bug but like this by design. If the user doesn't have access to the pm or in fact anywhere else in a website then an error is displayed, the the address the user was trying to access is still logged.
MysticalOne 8th May 2013

Likes 2

James

Here is the click log of the user of the 4 clicks from the click log with ip and username hidden, as you can see he was guest first , then he logged in and the first " / " next to his name brings me to the homepage when I click on it, then as you can see the next view is the " /pm ". When I clicked on the /pm it brought me to the pm my co leader had answered. I don't know how he would have gotten to or found the pm for my co leader.

( at this time it is on page 18 or so of the click log if you choose to go in and check it.)

30th Apr 20:00 **.***.***.*** T******** /page/1****
30th Apr 20:00 **.***.***.*** T******** /viewpm/1****
30th Apr 20:00 **.***.***.*** T******** /pm
30th Apr 20:00 **.***.***.*** T******** /
30th Apr 18:50 ***.***.***.** Guest /
Last Edit: 8th May 2013 by MysticalOne
JamesAdmin 9th May 2013

Likes 293

Ok thanks for posting and I will investigate. I have double checked again and again and PMs can only be read by those involved, so your PMs are safe at least.
MysticalOne 9th May 2013

Likes 2

Thanks for looking into it, also Thanks for assuring me my PM's are safe. If it were not for the click log I would not even have been aware of this happening so THANK YOU for creating the click log so we as site owners have an easy to use feature so we can be more aware of the traffic on our websites.

I also want to say keep up the great work with all you are doing to make this the BEST web hosting site available .
Totally_Oblivious 10th Sep 2015

Likes 66

some forums may display the links in logs but always return to the members link. meaning that members have only their set paths they can take. you could post a specific link to that member to your PM but it will default to only his PM....i believe they're called path logics...or something like that.
it's much like in FB if you have a blocked user or they blocked you and you type the path to their profile, it default redirects to your home page.

I am your leader; obey me! yo7 GLHF

Evie 12th Sep 2015

Likes 73

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback.

I will go ahead and forward this to our engineers so they can investigate further and provide with an accurate response.

Thank you for your patience.
Forum » Community Forums » Help and Support
Please login or register to reply.
Welcome to the support forums!

Welcome to the community forums!

If you're a premium customer and need urgent support or need to share personal details, please open a ticket from inside your Admin Panel.

Otherwise, please register to post in these forums.

Thank you!
Twitter